Achaari (sometimes also known as achaar or achar) means pickle. This is a dish that is made with all the spices one would normally use in an indian pickle. It is spicy & tangy. It can be eaten with either rice or roti.
Hope you like the flavors! Do try it and leave your comments.
Ingredients: you will need-
- 250 gm cubed paneer (I usually cut them in rectangular pieces)
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds (sai)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi daana)
- 1/4 tsp nigella seeds (onion seeds – Kalonji)
- 1 tsp garlic-ginger paste
- 1.5 tsp zeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 large red onion
- 1/2 cup red and green bell pepper (chopped into 1″ square pieces)
- 3-4 green chillies slit length wise, you may just add depending on your taste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 200 ml whipped curd
- 2 tsp dry mango powder
- 1 tsp kashmiri mirch
- 1 tsp sugar
- Heat the oil
- Add fennel, fenugreek, nigella and cumin seeds. Let it get brown.
- After 15-20 seconds, add green chillies. Stir and fry.
- Add the onions, Stir and fry. Let it be golden.
- Add the peppers. Stir and fry.
- Add turmeric powder, ginger- garlic paste. Fry for a minute.
- Pour in the yoghurt, dry mango powder, chilli powder, sugar and salt.
- Cook until oil separates.
- Add paneer cubes. The curd will leave some water. You may also add about 1/4 cup water if you need more gravy. Simmer for 5-7 mins and serve hot.
Enjoy the Achaari paneer with hot phulkas. Yumm!