Seekh Kebabs are a signature North Indian recipe which is all time crowd pleaser on special occasions. When people hear “Seekh kebabs” they are reminded of delicious, juicy kebabs made of minced meat of either lamb/chicken. They not only serve as a terrific appetizer but can also be served as a side dish to the main meal. Another, all time favorite starter is “Hare Bhara kebabs”. These are usually small circular patties made with spinach and potato. Hara Bhara kebabs are another mouth-watering appetizer spotted on restaurant menus in northern India.
Today, I have transfused the ” Kebabs” with “Hara Bhara kebabs” giving it a new twist. The recipe is adapted from FoodPunch. This is an easy, vegan, healthy recipe which can be tried with few key ingredients. This vegan appetizer has been made with goodness of peas, spinach, soya chunks and potato.
Some of the folks might not be familiar with soya chunks; to clarify soya chunks are nuggets made out of soy flour batter dried out in the sun. these can be used in dishes later. They are odourless and tasteless by themselves, presenting to every cook a blank canvas to paint on. The very fact that the boiled nuggets turn spongy, all ready to absorb any flavours you dunk them in, make them a delight to cook with. To soak the soya chunks, place the soya chunks in a deep bowl, add enough hot water so that the soya chunks are fully soaked in water. Cover and keep aside for 10-15 minutes or till they turn soft.
Health Benefits of Soya Nugget
• Soya nuggets are rich in vitamins, minerals, isoflavones and lecithin, nutrients proven to help lower cholesterol, prevent cancer and loss of bone mass.
• Soya is strongly recommended for diabetics, expectant mothers, growing children, cardiac patients, weight-watchers and the aged.
• A 100 per cent vegetarian high quality protein source that does wonders for young and old.
• Especially great for growing children, as it provides critical vitamins, minerals, fibre and protein.
• Eating more high-fiber foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and soya nuggets helps to lose weight.
• Soya nuggets are one of the best non-fish sources of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which may help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
• Soy protein may provide positive results for people with high blood pressure.
• Soy protein is beneficial to women in post-menopausal years.
• Soya is low in fat and sodium, and may help reduce the risk of heart disease.
- 1 cup fresh/ frozen green peas
- ½ cup baby spinach
- ½ cup soaked soy granules
- 2 small potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 green chillies
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp dry coriander powder
- 1/4th tsp black pepper powder
- A pinch of garam masala
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (fine)
- Salt to taste
- Boil green peas with a little salt, drain and spread it on a towel to remove all excess water.
- Boil Soya Chunks as described above. Squeeze the water out of soya chunks and shred them using your hand.
- Boil the baby spinach leaves, squeeze out the water and churn it in a blender to make a thick paste.
- Boil Potato, peel and mash it
- Slit, de-seed and finely chop the green chillies
- Finely chop a tbsp full of ginger and the coriander leaves.
- In a mixing bowl add the mashed potato, shredded soya chunks, green peas and the spinach paste.
- Add the chopped chillies, ginger and all the spices.
- Then add the bread crumbs and mix it well.
- Divide the mixture into 6-8 equal parts. Lightly grease your palm and press each part along the length of a skewer to make each kebab approx 5 inch in length.You may also give it any shape you would like.
- Heat medium flat frying pan. Spray olive oil, place three kebabs and let it cook, rolling on all sides untill golden all around. Alternatively, you may choose to deep fry.Serve hot with our favorite green chutney and spicy tomato ketchup.
Would love to hear back from you! Please tray and leave me your comments!!