Aam/Kairi Ki launji is another of my favorites. Kairi is another word for unripe green mangoes in India.My mom always cooks these in summer. She uses raw baby mangoes (Kairi). You can use frozen raw mangoes (cut) or else use fresh raw mango. I like to use the fresh ones, because, they are more flavorful during the hot summer months.
The best thing, it can be eaten as a main dish and also can be added as a side.
- 1 large raw mango
- 1 tbsp olive oil/ any oil of your own choice
- A pinch of hing/asafetida
- 1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder –
- 4 tbsp Sugar/honey (adjust if mangoes are not sweet)
- Salt -according to the taste
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Water
- Wash the mangoes. Peel and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Boil the mangoes for 8-10 mins, strain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add cumin seeds, methi, and fennel seeds into it.
- Once the methi seeds are turning light brown in color, add hing to it.
- Add the boiled mangoes and mix them well.
- Add the spices: turmeric powder, salt. Mix them well
- Add sugar and water and let it cook for 8-10 mins on low medium flame.
- Once the mangoes are tender. Turn off the flame.
- Ready to be served with Rice or paratha and chapatti.