Just bought fresh baby spinach from Costco over the weekend. I decided to make another spinach curry most popular in India. This curry is easy to cook, it’s totally vegan. This is another great recipe of people avoiding dairy products temporarily. Couple of tweaks using this same spinach curry- you may add potato/sweet potato/ corn/ paneer/tofu instead of peas. This curry can also be eaten without any toppings. The key ingredient for this recipe is spinach and peas. It is the easiest curry which can be prepared within 30 mins (15 min prep and 15 min cooking time).
- 1 cup frozen peas or boiled fresh peas
- 2 cup baby spinach, boiled, drained and cooled
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 large onion
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- 1-2 cloves on garlic – optional
- 1-2 green chillies
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed chillies or chilli powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 cup of water, approximately
- Boil spinach leaves for 10 minutes in small amount of water.
- Drain it and allow it to cool for some time.
- If using fresh peas you will want to slightly boil it (5 -7 minutes in boiling water).
- While the spinach is getting boiled, finely chop ½ onion and keep aside.
- Roughly chop tomatoes green chilies, ginger and garlic.
- Grind the cooled spinach along with the green chilies, tomato, onion, ginger and garlic to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the cumin seeds, wait for it to crackle
- Add the finely chopped onions. Fry for 2-3 minutes, until lightly brown on medium flame
- Add the spinach paste to the above. Keep it on low flame- to avoid spluttering of spinach all around.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- Simmer it for 10 minutes.
- Add frozen peas or boiled fresh peas.
- Finally add garam masala & chili powder
- Add 1 cup of water (adjust as needed)
- Cook for 5-7mins. Turn off the flame.
- Do not cover the spinach curry if you want a vibrant green color. (Since I covered it while cooking the color changed to olive green)
- To reduce the bitterness of the spinach you may add a spoonful of plain yogurt. Tomato also helps, but in turn changes the vibrant green color.
- A trick my mom shared with me and I am sharing with you folks- to avoid spinach to splutter all around, cook it over low medium flame, leave the ladle in the pan. This will ensure no to minimal spluttering.
Serve it with hot hulks/chapatti/rice. try this dish folks and leave me your comments.