Sorry for being away, but I promise this recipe will definitely cover up for my time away from the site. I have tried several Panna cotta recipes with subtle flavors. For those of you who do not know what Panna cotta is “an Italian dessert of sweetened cream thickened with gelatin and molded.” I decided to try something new with strong flavors this time. Who doesn’t love coffee and if you have never tried Panna cotta before, you must! It has a smooth, creamy texture and you can play with any flavors you love most. I must say this dessert can be prepared in no time and is always a crowd pleaser.
Please try this new recipe and leave me your comments below.
- 2 tsp (about 7 gm) gelatin powder
- 3 heaped tsp (about 6 gm) coffee powder
- 250 ml milk, room temperature
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp salt
- milk chocolate bar, shaved, for garnish
For the espresso gelee layer:
- 1/2 cup brewed strong espresso
- 1 tablespoon sugar (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored powdered gelatin
- Measure 2 tablespoons of milk from the recipe and mix with the gelatine powder. Let it sit until softened. Take out another 2-3 tablespoons of milk to combine with coffee powder. Set aside.
- Use a sauce pan to heat the remaining milk, whipping cream, sugar and salt over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the gelatin. Ensure it is dissolved completely.
- Remove from heat. Pour in the coffee mixture and stir to combine well. Drain through a fine sieve. Pour into the cups and jars. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours before adding the next layer.
- In a small sauce pan mix together the espresso and sugar. the strength of espresso can vary based on the coffee taste you prefer. In a small bowl dissolve the gelatin in 2 tbsp water. Once it is completely dissolved add it to the hot espresso. Refrigerate the gelee until just cool, but still good to pour.
- Pour a thin layer over the Panna cotta and allow it to set.
- Add chocolate shavings and serve it chilled. This can be made up to two days in advance.
I hope you enjoy this coffee preparation for your next event/ get together.